Thursday, January 27, 2011

Feeling Crafty? DIY Decorating/ Handmade Ideas- Fun, easy, and super-cute!

I have been pondering the idea of decorating for our homes, selves, kids, and gift-giving.  I love to make handmade items to give as gifts, as well as come up with new ideas. Here is a list of viable options for those times you desire something "new"! I do this a lot around my house.... I want a new pillow, a new picture hanging on my wall, a festive holiday decoration, some way to "upcycle" my old things... the list goes on and on! Here are some of my favorites:

• Upholstered headboard... Wood, fabric, batting, and only a few other "tools" are all you need to make this happen. For a great guide to how to do this, try this site, from beJane.
• Stencil "art" to paint on wall (I am doing this soon... Pics to follow!) For awesome stencil's, you can visit your local craft store, make them yourself using cardboard and an utility knife, or buy them online from (my favorite) Cutting Edge Stencils. Then, simply get paint, move your stencil to where you want it, and fill in with paint, being careful not to let it seep under the stencil! Quick, cheap, easy- gorgeous!
•  A new picture/photo for your wall... Edit using a free online program, like Picnik. *Fun idea- Zoom in on one particular spot, sephia (or whatever idea you desire) it, then have it sent in and mailed to your home through a photo site like Shutterfly or Snapfish (or, WalMart or Target, and go pick up in as little as an hour!). Then, replace your new photo (in whatever size you had wanted, also!) in an "old" frame, and wah-lah! Quick, personal, handcrafted art! If you don't have an old frame, you can pick up an inexpensive one at any mass retailer....my fave- a "plain" wooden one from the craft section of Wal-Mart (who doesn't have a Wal-Mart?).... Spray paint it, cut a piece of nice paper (or grab a piece of "scrapbook" paper while you are in the craft section), cut it to size, and use it for matting!  Then fit your picture in, and bam!
• Drink wine? (In case you wonder...yes, yes I do :)) Keep you corks! Once you have a nice supply, display them in a tall, clear vase!  The bottles, though, are my favorite. When you finish a bottle, fill your sink with hot water, and submerge the bottle. Let the bottle sit in the sink until the water cools, then pull it out and the paper label of the wine bottle should peel off! (It may take a little work with some household cleaner and possibly a utility knife.) I love bottles with paper labels for this exact reason, as the clear, plastic-y labels are much harder- if not impossible- to get off. Once your label is all off... display your bottles! I have mine around my kitchen, but also love the look of placing them together (either by all sorts of shapes and colors mixed, or by choosing one color, and grouping), and in front of a window so the light shines through. Beautiful! (And, hey, if you drink a lot of wine, you can accumulate pretty quickly! I always seem to run out of wine bottles of my own for everything I want to use them for!)
• Crochet? Know someone who does? (*AHEM!!!*) Whip up- or, have them whip up- some crocheted flowers for you! Yarn is available in about whatever color your heart desires.... Then you simply glue or sew onto whatever you want that needs jazzed up or a new life! My favorite things to add flowers to are: throw pillows (cream pillows with cream or gold-ish yarn- amazing! Or, have a girls bedroom? These crochet flowers look amazing in shabby-chic baby rooms of light pink, to a pre-teen girls room of hot pink and lime green!); wine bottles (yes, add even MORE life to those bottles!)- tie or glue a flower to the top of the bottle... Instant glam; a sweater (mini flowers in a "spray" of them... looks custom- made. One large flower- use as a brooch!); A garland- use in a romantic bedroom, across a mirror, or from one corner of a bookcase to another. These all add instant "love" to yourself and your home!

Any more ideas you have? Let me know! I'll be posting pictures soon, and, please check Old Soul Charm, my etsy store, for lots of handmade and vintage finds for yourself and your home- and as great gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment